Product Data Analyst
WHO WE ARE:
We are operator-led investors from the first ticket to the first round. Our team is made up of entrepreneurs, hyper-growth tech company execs, and operators who are committed to supporting founders in their journeys to build sustainable companies through product-led growth.
We are driven to build a diverse group of portfolio companies, stakeholders and ecosystem of partners. We genuinely believe that diversity of gender, ethnicity, race, culture, religion and sexual orientation truly brings wealth of ideas and resources that strengthen our collective resolve – to support diverse founders building the most impactful companies.
We are also painstakingly aware that we live in a world where the best opportunities are heavily concentrated in a few postal codes, even though talent is globally distributed. We are determined to bridge this gap and provide the best entrepreneurs –regardless of location– the resources needed to elevate their businesses to extraordinary heights.
Since our foundation in 2017, we have raised and deployed a $52M fund and we are in the process of closing our second fund, circa $100M. We have invested in 70+ early-stage startups ranging from pre-seed to Series A not only as investors but as operators ready to support founders with whatever challenges arise.
We are headquartered in Miami and Madrid however this role can be based in the US with preference for Miami, or in LatAm.
WHAT THE DATA TEAM DOES:
At TheVentureCity, we are building the best data analytics team in the world of startup investing. Our data platform enables “customer analytics at scale,” whereby we leverage our startups’ data to help them grow. We use a modern data stack: BigQuery for storage and processing; Fivetran for extracting and loading; and dbt for transformations. When necessary, we build custom Google Cloud Functions when no Fivetran connector exists. To visualize the transformed data in BigQuery, depending on the use case, we have Redash dashboards; Google Data Studio reports; and Tableau workbooks. Collectively, these tools enable our Product Data Analysts to evaluate investment opportunities; manage the portfolio; and advise founding teams and third-parties–as efficiently and scalably as possible.
As a Product Data Analyst, you will…
- Work with startups’ teams to understand the context of their data sources in order to use them to gain insights
- Develop SQL-based transformations in dbt
- Perform exploratory data analysis
- Build explanatory visuals and dashboards
- Contribute written analysis of data-driven insights to due diligence documents
- Present educational webinars to internal and external audiences
- Author short, regular educational emails about data topics
- Share your expertise with the portfolio companies as they grow their data capabilities
These skills and personal characteristics are critical to success in this position:
- Consultative, collaborative, problem-solving approach to working with teammates and the companies we support
- Love of learning
- Capacity to work autonomously and be accountable for deliverables
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent work streams
- Affinity for working on a geographically distributed team
This is the baseline set of skills the position requires:
- Expert-level SQL
- Business acumen
- Communication in the form of data visualizations, oral presentations, slide decks, and less formal 1:1 consultation
- Proficiency in Python
- Exposure with Google Cloud Platform, especially BigQuery and Cloud Functions
- Exposure to dbt and Git
We are looking for someone whose background looks like the following:
- Undergraduate degree in data science, data analytics, statistics, information systems, or similar
- 5+ years of post-collegiate work experience in data analytics in a business environment, including the skills described above
- Portfolio of representative project work experience–including data visualizations–available to share, either via a link or in a Zoom conversation
- English required and Spanish preferred
- Authorized to work the US or LatAm
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus of 25% base salary based on performance
- 24 paid vacation days a year
- Daily lunch stipend
- Private health & life insurance